Why I Will Never Own My Dog

Why I Will Never Own My Dog


They Are Sentient Beings

Dogs are sentient beings, which means that they have feelings and thoughts of their own, much like us humans.  Baring this in mind, I highly doubt you would say that you 'owned' spouse or your child, simply because you share your home with them, so it is a strange concept that we say that we own our dogs.  

It seems bizarre that we can truly have ownership over a living, breathing creature.  One that is so full of love and character and beauty.  One that we share such an intricate, devoted relationship with.  One that is just as much a part of our family as the humans we share our lives with.  Can a creature who is able to feel such complex emotions and feelings, every truly be owned? 


4 Border Collie dogs stood on a bench looking at the camera


My Beliefs

I believe wholeheartedly that our dogs should not be thought of, bought, sold or traded as if they were objects.  After all, they are living creatures who are very capable of feeling intense emotions, so I think this is where my reluctance to use the term owner may stem from.  

Maybe I feel this way even more so, because of the way in which my current 4 dogs have entered my life.  I am a believer that these dogs have found their way into my life for a reason as each one has taught me so much along the way.  I find it particularly hard to comprehend how many people can simply give away or sell their dog when they no longer want them.  Whilst of course there are genuine cases where dogs can no longer be kept by their current family, I do believe that the mentality of dogs simply being owned can contribute to dog's being given up easily without much consideration for them as individuals.  

Though I accept that I am totally responsible for their health, wellbeing and complete care needs, I find it hard to accept that I own them as such, I prefer to say that I share my life with them, which is absolutely true.

Side profile of a chocolate Flat Coated Retriever dog giving a paw to a persons hand

The Law

However we choose to title ourselves in terms of our dogs, in the eyes of the legal system, dogs are currently considered as 'chattel' which essentially means they are in the same classification as items of furniture, or a car for example.  This is undoubtedly cold hearted, and is simply not how we view our canine companions day-to-day.  Legally, we are classed as owners of our dogs when it comes down to any legal disputes, although there is somewhat of a grey area of how you actually prove that your dog is yours.  Decisions around this matter tend to be based on a combination of microchip details, vet registration details, where the dog currently lives and who purchased/rescued the dog originally amongst other factors.  

However, there are changes being made to the UK law in this regard currently, with the introduction of the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill, which will hopefully come into affect soon.  This will recognise vertebrae animals (which covers most pet animals) as sentient beings by law.  Thereby eliminating the theory that dogs are simply our property.  

Close up of a golden Labrador dog being stroked on their head

  

I am well aware of the fact that in the grand scheme of things, it is really pretty irrelevant what people choose to call themselves.  Whether that is dog owners, dog guardians, dog parents, Mum/Dad or anything else.  The focus should always be centred around their dog's wellbeing and happiness.  After all, your dog has no preference over what you refer to yourself as, they simply want to be loved and cherished, which they totally deserve to be.  


To keep up to date with my latest blog posts, you can sign up to my mailing list for free by clicking here. 

Comments

Popular Posts